On this page we’re going to be talking about the iRobot Roomba Robot Vacuums, we’re going to give an overview of the company and we’re going to be giving you reasons why they are one of the top companies for robotic vacuums and why you should buy one of them.
With 4 different series of robot vacuums it’s hard to know where to start when choosing, whether looking at price or the more up to date technology. The newest version of the Roomba is the 980.
The iRobot corporation was founded as far back as 1990 by MIT robotocists who wanted to make practical robots that could be used by everyday consumers. Today it’s a large worldwide company and has quite a few options in robot vacuums having released their first one in 2002.
The technology, as in any computerised product, changes quickly and you can see the development of this just by looking at their range of robot vacuums now, with the Roomba 980 to earlier versions like the Roomba 650.
In this environment there is no way you can stand still and this year they included upgraded versions with smart technology so that they now have the new wi-fi robot vacuum, the Roomba 690 which can now be controlled by smart phone apps alongside the more advanced robots. They have also upgraded the Roomba 880 to the new updated Roomba 890 with wi-fi technology.
iRobot has a range of robot vacuums called the Roomba and also a range of mopping robots called the Braava. We’ll be concentrating on the Roomba range.
Looking at the similarities in all Roombas
All the iRobot Roomba robot vacuums are circular in shape, which is synonymous with our view of a robot vacuum. They all run for a minimum of 60 minutes which can clean quite a large space. From the Roomba 650 upwards they all offer scheduling, so you can set it up to work at the same time everyday whether you are in or out and they are all self charging, which means that they can all find their way back to the docking stations when the battery power goes down to re-charge. All the robots offer the 3 stage cleaning system which is the rotary brushes underneath, side brush and suction.
A look at the different Roomba series
There is the iRobot Roomba 600 series which are the more basic robot vacuums, they range from the cheapest which is the
- Roomba 614 price which doesn’t offer any scheduling, just press the button and let it run.
- Roomba 650 price which does offer scheduling and spot cleaning, all controlled with the buttons on top of the vacuum.
- Roomba 652 price which is the 650 with a lithium ion battery giving a longer running time
- Roomba 665 price which again is almost the 650 with a better lithium ion battery a dirt detection sensor and a handsome silver colour.
- Roomba 690 price with Wi Fi capabilities, the newest in the 600 range. The difference in this one is mainly the wi-fi control via the iRobot Home app, there is the lithium ion battery, otherwise the same as the 650. The app gives more in terms of control with your phone and being able to check cleaning and the amount of charge. You can use the app to manually set off your robot to clean or to send it back to charge.
The Roomba 650 is the bestselling on Amazon and a good cheap vacuum if you just want to try a robot vacuum to see if it will work in your home.
The iRobot Roomba 700 series all have the main cleaning functionality as the 600 series, the main changes in this range are the series 2 dirt detection with optical and acoustic sensors, dual aerovac filter including hepa filter for better cleaning suitable for people with allergies, the aerovac 2 improved suction and there is a remote control to make scheduling and controlling easier. They all have the (Ni-MH) Nickel Metal Hydride batteries which will run for around 60 minutes and they all now have bin full indicators.The prices are a little higher for these robot vacuums.
As you can see there are improvements in this series making the suction and dirt detection better with more sensors added, check out our Roomba 770 review.
The iRobot Roomba 800 series improves again by installing the AeroForce 3 cleaning with Gen 2 motor giving 5x the power of previous Roombas. They now include lithium ion batteries for longer running time, the brushes underneath are now rubber tangle free and you now have the option of edge cleaning mode.
- Roomba 860 price
- Roomba 870 price this now includes a dual mode virtual wall and an Xlife extended life battery.
- Roomba 880 price this now includes multi-room cleaning using the 2 virtual wall lighthouses which keep the Roomba cleaning in 1 room until it is finished then moves it to the next room, read our full Roomba 880 review.
- Roomba 890 price is the newest to the collection with Wi-fi technology via the iRobot Home app. The price at the moment is cheaper than the 880 with the same capabilities and with wi-fi.
This series has improved the cleaning power and the battery life, it’s included tangle free brushes, it’s introduced the multi-room cleaning and edge cleaning. The prices are about mid range for most robot vacuums.
This new iRobot Roomba 900 series has now taken the cleaning to the next level, you can now clean the whole level of your home using their iAdapt 2.0 Navigation with Visual Localization. This actually maps out the room then cleans methodically in a backwards and forwards motion so every spot is cleaned. It has memory of where it has been so if the battery runs down on power it can go back to the dock and re-charge then return to the point where it finished and carry on from there. Very clever. The robots are wi-fi controlled using the app on your smart phone, where you can view the maps the robot has scanned and view where it has cleaned, you can also set cleaning preferences and get notifications of maintenance and other things.
- Roomba 960 price, this can still clean at 5x the power of earlier robot vacuums and it can run for 75 minutes before re-charging.
- Roomba 980 price is the most advanced of the Roomba ranges it has the latest technology as well as the 960 except this now has carpet boost for deeper cleaning on carpets, it can also run for 120 minutes before re-charging and has 10x the power of earlier robots, read our full review of the Roomba 980.
As you can see the improvements just keep coming, on the downside the more improvements the higher the price.
The Roomba vacuums have a diversity in range of power and cleaning capabilities. The newer robots are now including wi-fi control and all with wi-fi can be voice controlled using Alexa and Google Home Assistant. No matter what your budget or requirements there is a vacuum here for you.
Where to buy
We recommend that if you want to buy online you go to Amazon.com. They offer some of the best deals and bundles, they can deliver quickly and offer you simple and easy returns. You know if you shop there you are guaranteed to get the best customer service. If you are wanting to check closer at the specifications or if you want to read the customer reviews for more opinions click the link below or any of the product links above.
For more in depth reviews check out the list below: